moving to the new community

CH
Carin Headrick
Wed, Apr 12, 2023 7:31 PM

Hi everybody. I've been meaning to send this message for a while, and I guess now is as good a time as any.

We have had a mailing list for years and it was easy for us to send messages back and forth and send out meeting invites too. But since we changed to our last mailing list provider, that mailing list has caused more problems than it has solved. Randomly, large swaths of subscribers would stop receiving large clumps of messages and we couldn't figure out the pattern. It's the reason you started getting two copies of every message I send: one through the mailing list and one through me bcc-ing everybody...not the best way to go, that's for sure! Also, since we changed providers, we had more and more trouble giving people the power to remove themselves. The password reminders just wouldn't send, and all sorts of other junk.

Now that we're storing the recordings of meetings on the community, (don't worry, they will all show up just as soon as we transfer over all the old ones), it feels like a natural progression that we communicate through the community, and just have one place where everything goes. Also, now that I am able to attach calendar invites, you can still put the meeting invites in the Outlook calendar, just like before! On top of that, if you choose to leave, you can unsubscribe yourself and you don't have to rely on me to do it. Double awesome, especially when I absent-mindedly forget to do it, or the system leads me to believe I was successful when I wasn't.

Our mailing list renews in mid July. My dream is to get everybody signed up on the new community by then. If you have any trouble moving over, let me know. Also, if you have any reasons why you think this is a terrible idea, let me know and this will give me time to see if I can resolve those things, or decide that we still have to keep the mailing list.

Here is a masterpiece of a blurb by Aasim Yacub from our community team describing how to move over to the new community. I hope you will find all the helpful links you could ever need in here.

We want to grow with and for you! Join us in the new Brightspace Communityhttps://community.d2l.com/brightspace/ that continues to provide the same support and resources but with a refreshed look and feel - inspired by YOUR feedbackhttps://community.d2l.com/brightspace/discussion/1936/community-feedback-%EF%B8%8F!
The new Community brings together the Legacy Community and the Brightspace Help site to help you find all resources in one spot. If you are curious to see what the new Community has to offer, we would encourage you to check out the Brightspace Community Tourhttps://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4008-community-tour article!
Join the Community using the Registerhttps://community.d2l.com/brightspace/entry/register?target=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.d2l.com%2Fbrightspace%2Fkb%2Farticles%2F4008-community-tour button hosted on the Community Navbar. If you experience any issues creating an account with the Community, check out our Community FAQshttps://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/5459-community-faqs to learn more or connect with the Community Team via brightspacecommunity@d2l.commailto:brightspacecommunity@d2l.com.

Now, it's me again. I know there will be bumps along the way. I know I've had a few already, hahah. But I hope that in the end, it will work better to have one place to maintain. Thanks for putting up with my slow learning.

Carin

[...]
DK
Day, Kathy
Wed, Apr 12, 2023 7:36 PM

That is a great idea Carin!

Thank you for all the work you’ve done to keep us all connected over the years. You deserve a break from that, this will be easy for all of us 😊

Have a GREAT week everyone!
Kathy

[CAUTION: This email comes from outside of the organization. Verify the sender and use caution with any requests, links, or attachments.]

[...]

That is a great idea Carin! Thank you for all the work you’ve done to keep us all connected over the years. You deserve a break from that, this will be easy for all of us 😊 Have a GREAT week everyone! Kathy From: Carin Headrick via d2l-a11y-group <d2l-a11y-group@lists.d2l.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 3:32 PM To: d2l-a11y-group@lists.d2l.com Subject: [d2l-a11y] moving to the new community [CAUTION: This email comes from outside of the organization. Verify the sender and use caution with any requests, links, or attachments.] Hi everybody. I’ve been meaning to send this message for a while, and I guess now is as good a time as any. We have had a mailing list for years and it was easy for us to send messages back and forth and send out meeting invites too. But since we changed to our last mailing list provider, that mailing list has caused more problems than it has solved. Randomly, large swaths of subscribers would stop receiving large clumps of messages and we couldn’t figure out the pattern. It’s the reason you started getting two copies of every message I send: one through the mailing list and one through me bcc-ing everybody…not the best way to go, that’s for sure! Also, since we changed providers, we had more and more trouble giving people the power to remove themselves. The password reminders just wouldn’t send, and all sorts of other junk. Now that we’re storing the recordings of meetings on the community, (don’t worry, they will all show up just as soon as we transfer over all the old ones), it feels like a natural progression that we communicate through the community, and just have one place where everything goes. Also, now that I am able to attach calendar invites, you can still put the meeting invites in the Outlook calendar, just like before! On top of that, if you choose to leave, you can unsubscribe yourself and you don’t have to rely on me to do it. Double awesome, especially when I absent-mindedly forget to do it, or the system leads me to believe I was successful when I wasn’t. Our mailing list renews in mid July. My dream is to get everybody signed up on the new community by then. If you have any trouble moving over, let me know. Also, if you have any reasons why you think this is a terrible idea, let me know and this will give me time to see if I can resolve those things, or decide that we still have to keep the mailing list. Here is a masterpiece of a blurb by Aasim Yacub from our community team describing how to move over to the new community. I hope you will find all the helpful links you could ever need in here. We want to grow with and for you! Join us in the new Brightspace Community<https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/> that continues to provide the same support and resources but with a refreshed look and feel – inspired by YOUR feedback<https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/discussion/1936/community-feedback-%EF%B8%8F>! The new Community brings together the Legacy Community and the Brightspace Help site to help you find all resources in one spot. If you are curious to see what the new Community has to offer, we would encourage you to check out the Brightspace Community Tour<https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4008-community-tour> article! Join the Community using the Register<https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/entry/register?target=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.d2l.com%2Fbrightspace%2Fkb%2Farticles%2F4008-community-tour> button hosted on the Community Navbar. If you experience any issues creating an account with the Community, check out our Community FAQs<https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/5459-community-faqs> to learn more or connect with the Community Team via brightspacecommunity@d2l.com<mailto:brightspacecommunity@d2l.com>. Now, it’s me again. I know there will be bumps along the way. I know I’ve had a few already, hahah. But I hope that in the end, it will work better to have one place to maintain. Thanks for putting up with my slow learning. Carin